Saturday, March 13, 2010

Dawes

I heard this band called Dawes on the World Cafe Words and Music podcast that I listen to. That was more than a month ago and the music has been stuck in my head ever since. If the music had that much staying power, I though I'd share it with you here.

North Hills is the debut album of the band from Los Angeles. I marveled at how a group so young could produce music so powerful and transcendent, and have so much to say lyrically. "I took what I wanted and put it out of my reach. I wanted to pay for my success with all of my defeats." I hear at once laid-back California and the urgent yearning for a deeper truth.

Go here and click "Listen Now" to launch the NPR stand-alone player and hear the entire podcast with a great interview and three great songs recorded in studio.

1 comment:

  1. The more time I spend on your site, the more I love the new look :)

    ReplyDelete